After Liposuction – Why and How to Maintain Your Weight
Liposuction is a popular cosmetic surgery procedure that offers a quick and effective way to remove stubborn fat deposits from various areas of the body. Although it provides an immediate improvement in body shape, it is crucial to understand that liposuction in particular is not a weight loss solution or a substitute for a healthy lifestyle. While it’s important to keep weight under control after all body contouring procedures, as we’ve explained before, liposuction is entirely about fat reduction. Therefore, to maintain the aesthetic results and reap the long-term benefits of this procedure, it may be even more essential to manage your weight after liposuction.
Reasons to Manage Your Weight After Liposuction
Maintain the Aesthetic Results
The primary reason for having liposuction is to improve your body contour and achieve a more desirable shape. However, neglecting weight management post-procedure can lead to the accumulation of new fat deposits and a return of the problem areas. To keep your new, sculpted figure, it is crucial to adopt a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise
Prevent Complications and Health Issues
Post-surgery weight gain can not only impact the aesthetic results but also put additional stress on the body, increasing the risk of complications and health issues. Obesity is associated with various health problems, such as hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers. Maintaining a healthy weight after liposuction helps reduce the risk of developing these conditions and ensures overall well-being.
Liposuction is Targeted Fat Reduction
It is essential to understand that liposuction removes fat cells from targeted areas, but it does not prevent the remaining fat cells from expanding. If you gain weight after the procedure, the fat cells in other areas of your body may grow in size, affecting your overall body shape. By managing your weight, you can ensure that your liposuction results remain stable and long-lasting
Liposuction is a significant financial investment for most people, and it is in your best interest to maintain the results to make the most of your investment. Continual weight gain after liposuction may necessitate additional procedures or corrective surgeries, which can be costly and time-consuming. By maintaining a stable weight, you can avoid the need for further interventions and ensure that your liposuction is cost-effective.
Improve self-esteem and confidence
Achieving your desired body shape through liposuction can lead to a significant boost in self-esteem and confidence. However, if you fail to maintain your weight and the results deteriorate, it can have a negative impact on your self-image. By managing your weight, you can preserve the psychological benefits of liposuction and continue to enjoy an improved quality of life.
How to Manage Your Weight After Liposuction
- Adopt a balanced diet. Focus on consuming nutrient-dense foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats. Avoid excessive intake of processed foods, sugary treats, and unhealthy fats.
- Engage in regular exercise. Aim to engage in at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity four to five times per week, along with strength training exercises twice a week.
- Get enough sleep. The connection between poor or insufficient sleep and weight gain has been well established. If you’re feeling tired, you’re less likely to exercise, and more likely to engage in stress eating.*
- Monitor your weight. Keep track of your weight and body measurements to ensure you are maintaining a healthy range.
- Seek professional guidance. Consult with a nutritionist or personal trainer to help you develop a personalized weight management plan.
- Maintain a support network. Surround yourself with friends, family, or support groups that can help you stay accountable and motivated.
Learning More About Liposuction
If you’re looking at this page because you’re considering liposuction or another procedure, you’re on the right track. It’s always good to know as much about any procedure as possible before having it done.
Dr. Steven Varkony is a leader in the field of liposuction and has been ahead of the curve in terms of using VASER ultrasound liposuction. Often referred to as high-definition, the technology can remove fat more thoroughly and completely, revealing more muscle definition than is possible with older types of liposuction. Dr. Varkony is currently the only plastic surgeon in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles providing VASER ultrasound liposuction. He offers the full range of body contouring plastic surgery and more.
To learn more about a procedure, please call the number on your screen or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Dr. Varkony is based in Encino but he sees patients from throughout the area including Calabasas, Woodland Hills, Canoga Park, Reseda, Tarzana, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, and Burbank as well as Beverly Hills, Brentwood, and Santa Monica.
* “Sleep deprivation and obesity in adults: a brief narrative review,” BMJ Open Sport and Exercise Medicine. Christopher B. Cooper, Eric V. Neufeld, Brett A. Dolezal, and Jennifer L Martin. October 4, 2018.